Thursday, August 16, 2012

Bridges and Bathrooms (08.15/16.12)

08.15/16.12

After keepin' it classy with some wine and cheese during our delay, we were out of Newark after the storm had blown through. The flight served a late dinner with lame choices in movies, so I chose to nom on some Ravioli while picking up my new read. I've only gotten a few chapters in, but as my first Steampunk novel, Boneshaker has been very good so far.



After some more wine and a melatonin, I decided to catch a few brief hours of "sleep." Unfortunately I decided to snooze through sunrise. However, knowing I'd seen it before, I was glad for the extra rest. Upon awakening, I was pleased to see the clouds over the horizon in the morning sun, as well as my first few glimpses of the Irish countryside.





The Dublin Airport, which I did not shoot any pictures of, was the cleanest, nicest airport I've seen in a long time. I guess anything looks good compared to Newark. Meeting our driver Eric and picking up our quickly delivered luggage (never fails to surprise us, since waiting in Newark is a thing), we headed out for the hotel in Dublin.

We were surprised to see how modern the city is in many places. Apparently there's been a ton of building, and our driver noted in fact there's been too much. Many places look empty or half empty, or are for sale. Some look like rather spacious offices. We also passed this fantastic white bridge, which is rumored to swing open, though Eric noted he has never seen it do this.


Upon arriving to the hotel, we were greeted with aged mirrors and paisley furniture. It was absolutely gorgeous! I have had some internet issues so far, but am lucky to be on to write at least this tonight. On our way up to the room, we passed this small boy, walking about playing a DS and dressed very sharply (look, he even tucked in his shirt). Meeting him again in the elevator up, he presented himself with a key, which he stuck into the elevator's side panel after asking how to use it. I presume that it goes to some private suite, above the other few floors. My father remarked, "you did well!" in congratulation, upon when he asked everyone in the elevator (in the cutest accent ever) if we'd clap for him. We did.



I thought I'd share a shot of the lobby, as well as our bathroom, which is rather awesome. This may seem odd to some of you, but the bathroom is always the first place I look. I am not sure why, but I love cool bathrooms.




I have a whole other entry planned for today's other activities and shots - we napped and then went for an afternoon out. But for now, I'm absolutely exhausted from lack of sleep, and still need to shower before I wake up early (you know me, mornings) for tomorrow's day trip. More to come, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment