Friday, August 24, 2012

Rainbows and Reeds (08.23.12)

08.23.12

Today was our first full day here at Gleneagles. I got to sleep a little later than I have been thankfully, and felt caught up when I awoke.

We set out to meet a guide around 10, whose name was Allan (though not sure how this is spelled). He had a thick accent, which took some getting used to, but was very nice and funny (and will be teaching us clay pigeon shooting tomorrow). He took us out fly fishing in a small corner of the country not far from the hotel, where we stood aside pools about 20 feet deep most, and skimmed the water with colorful lures for a few hours. We were all thankful for the lack of rain, and the sun that kept us warm. It was an overall success, considering the first and only time I'd done this prior was near a parking lot out in Yosemite at 13 in hot conditions. Today was relaxing, and while I was learning, managed to snag three fish. One of them did die after swallowing the hook, but Allan put it out of it's misery before it could bleed, telling me the hotel would cook it for me if I wished to eat it (a Rainbow Trout, as seen below). Of course, I declined and told him he could take it home, since he said he likes fish and wouldn't want to waste one. I was glad I (and mum, she had a dead one too) could provide a meal for him! (Pics below thanks to Mum + Dad, wasn't really taking any shots that day.)





In the afternoon, we decided to go browse the golf grounds. A qualifying tournament is here at the hotel playing on one of the many courses, taking it's last rounds of skilled golfers for a future Ryder's cup. We have seen a few of them around, notably in some interesting gear (mark - purple plaid pants). We watched some on the range, and some on the 18th green, before the weather turned chilly and windy. No pictures were allowed, so sadly I don't have shots of those amazing pants, but I'm sure you guys aren't in this for the golfers anyways. 

Headed back to the hotel grounds once more, we chilled a bit before dinner. We returned to the golf house for dinner a few hours after some rest, which was casual and nice, and tipped off the evening with another glass of wine at the bar off the lobby. I had a Caesar and two plates of penne (small portions!) which was very good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment