Friday, August 24, 2012

Clouds and Cages (08.22.12)

08.22.12

Today we left the gorgeous Adare Manor rather early, headed for the Shannon airport to fly a brief flight to Scotland. I was sad to see Ireland go, and we'd said our goodbyes to Eric the day before. A funny old man from the hotel drove us that morning, chatting away, and humming if he wasn't speaking to us directly.

A cool view of wind turbines from the plane:


Our flight was thankfully short, and after gathering our damp luggage (which had sat in the rain before being boarded along with us), we headed off to Gleneagles. I don't have a picture of the car we drove in, but it's possibly the most amazing thing ever because the top half was mostly glass, roof, windows, and all. (I thought - from a drivers point of view, this would make negotiating blind spots a lot easier, especially by eliminating that annoying bar to the left and right of the windshield with another smaller window.) I stared up at the clouds for about half the drive before falling asleep, since I had not gotten a very good night's rest at the Adare due to some strange and loud creaking noises early that morning.

Arriving at Gleneagles, I took some time to finally unpack and get a little more caught up on pictures and my blog. The decor here is surprisingly modern, which I didn't expect after seeing the outside of the hotel. To be perfectly honest, I prefer the older decor far more than these rooms, though it is no doubt still wonderful. I have a little window seat that over looks the side of the front entrance, which is my favorite part. The view from the top floor looks like this, which is amazing:


After a bit of relaxing and eating lunch, we went to go explore the grounds. First we wandered outside, watching golfers in the distance, finding mazes to wander in, and coming across the large cages with birds from the Falconry, which Mum was not a fan of. I think one of them may have even been an eagle. We soon wandered inside, checking out our dinner location, as well as looking at the little shops within the hotel (which were all pretty absurdly expensive).





The rest of the day we just took to relax - I continued to work on pictures until dinner. Dinner was in one of the several restaurants in the hotel here, where I had a cheesy risotto plate to start, and a pesto pasta dish following. We ordered an absurd amount of Tiramisu to share for dessert, the only size being a large bowl fit for a meal itself, I wish I had grabbed a shot but the room was very dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment